Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Viewer Discretion Advised    *giggles*

The other night I watched this quite interesting disgusting program on the National Geographic Channel. It seems that there is a small town in Texas called Merkel that is being overun by a vast number of red fire ants and they were getting desperate to get rid of them so this is what they did:

They gathered up quite a few of the ants & took them to this university where some scientist(can't remember his name) had come up with a solution to get rid of the fire ants. He placed a blow fly in with the ants & the fly zapped an egg into some of the fire ants. The ants were then taken back to their swarm in Texas.

As the fly larvae grew it found it's way to the fire ant's head & the head eventually would fall off (gross!) and the workers would take the heads to the entrance of the nest. Eventually, the larvae would emerge from the head as a grown fly & find it's way back to the colony and the process would start over again.

We have fire ants here too and one day Lady Kuri got into a nest of them...bless her heart, she swelled up so much that it was hard to tell she was a little chihuahua but we kept giving her Benedryl until the swelling went away completely & she has avoided the ants ever since. *s*

10 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Anonymous kailani said...

Okay, that is a little gross. But I guess if I lived in a town invested by ants, I would do whatever it takes to get rid of them.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger LibertyBelle said...

Very gross, but seems it's a more natural way to get rid of a problem than zapping them with chemicals!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Mrs Lifecruiser said...

Ewww, gross! But at least it's fighting nature with nature things :-)

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think the town was Merkel. The blurb on the National Geographic Channel website says the community was in South Texas in Bee County. Merkel is in West Texas in Taylor county.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Chi said...

Oops, anonymous...I apologize &thanks for the correction. *s*

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

Oh dear! I hate 'em. I put the fire ant granules along the foundation. They're nasty suckers!!!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

although I'm sure now that the blow flies will become the issue, and they'll need to introduce some predator to take them out. :)

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

I think I remember some story from when I was little about my Me-Ma having an unfortunate run in with red ants. Doesn't sound fun to me. I hope that fire ants are one of the bad things I get to skip out in life.

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous eph2810 said...

I didn't know that dogs are allergeric to ants. Our Zoey is a chihuahua mix...

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Melli said...

Oh my Lord! That does seem a little extreme! I guess ant-eaters don't like them, huh? (too spicey?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home