Saturday, August 12, 2006

I Am Not Sure I Agree With This Quote

The sign of intelligent people is their ability to control emotions by the application of reason.
- Marya Mannes

***********************************************

I am, by no means, a genius but do consider myself to have at least a modicum amount of intelligence and I am admitting that my emotions tend to take precedence over reason more often than not. I do understand why she believes this to be true...I just disagree. Then again, perhaps if I allowed reason to rule more, I might become smarter. *smile*

6 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Reverberate58 said...

Whether I agreed or not I know that sometimes my emotions take over and run the whole show. That does not make me any less intelligent! Just very emotional!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Tigersan said...

Hmmmm, me thinks this has something to do with what separates humans from animals: the ability to use one's mind (reason) over their instinctive reactions (emotions). Me admire those in the canine world that possess this ability... me can too, but not when there is food involved ;)

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

I think that reasoning is a great too, and it definitely has its place. But, we are human...and we have emotions. Some emotions, at times, can be overly strong and I don't think there's anything wrong with following them.

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Wystful 1 said...

Hey Chi!!! Modicum? Wow.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Melli said...

Well... I think the key is in the word "ability"... because I'm quite certain that if, like me, you are in a situation where it is VERY UNcomfortable for you to allow your emotions out, you keep them under wrap. Most of us do. But when we feel safe to allow our emotions to do their thing, we do that too. It's a choice -- though not always a concious choice. But then again... when I get very angry and frustrated, I cry! And that is the time when I very LEAST want to cry -- and I don't seem to be able to help that one! LOL!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I can agree on that most of the time. Sometimes, I feel something's not right but when my emotions take over.....everything is right.
Thanks for stopping by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home