Tuesday, June 20, 2006

U. S. Flag Facts


The infamous Mr K bought a new U. S. flag yesterday which now proudly waves in the breeze (did I say breeze...LOL) on my front porch. In the package was a little pamphlet containing facts about the flag so I thought I would share them with you. *s*

The U. S. flag, adopted on June 14, 1777, is the fourth oldest flag in the world. Denmark's flag, adopted in 1219, is the oldest.(smiles at my friends from Denmark)

A flag expert is called a vexillologist.

The blue field on the U. S. flag is called the union.

On Memorial Day, to honor all who died in battle, the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff for the remainder of the day.

Since 1834, the U. S. flag has flown continuously next to the grave of the Revolutionary War hero, the Marquis de Lafayette, near Paris, France.

June 14 was proclaimed Flag Day by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916. While Flag Day was a popular celebration in scores of communities for many years after Wilson's proclamation, it didn't receive its official Congressional designation until 1949.

8 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Joshua said...

Interesting. Vexillologist. Now that's a funny title. Thank you for the comment on Scarlet's Preliminary posting. I've asked for assistance in my new post pretaining to a color palette. I'm going to attempt some full color postings of her once I'm finished selecting one.
--Little Reverb

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous AmberStar said...

Cool flag facts!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Melli said...

Well... I didn't know some of those things! Imagine little Denmark having the oldest flag of all! That is cool! (sharing Chi's friends in Denmark!) We always get our new flag the week before Memorial Day each year. We live in a "wind tunnel" so our flags never last more than one year. It's disrespectful to fly a tattered flag - One year my brother came to visit just before I was going to get my new flag. He was SO insulted by our 'frayed' flag, that he went out that day and bought us one and put it up! I was so embarassed that I have NEVER let another flag get tattered before I replace it! My brother is my hero ... and he deserves to have a nice flag flown for him! :)

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Reverberate58 said...

I did not know all that about the flag. Especially the flag flying in France! Very interesting facts.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

Well now, Denmark...hmmm, interesting that it's the oldest flag. I'm sure this means commissioned flags. The only one I knew was the blue field being called union.

Great Post Chi!!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

This is interesting! Those little mice just stole my heart, though.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

well now I'm all edumacated. :) cute pic, too

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger no_average_girl said...

hey girl! Thanks so much for dropping by and leaving a comment on my guest post for Eph2810 on Father's Day. I'm glad you enjoyed the "famous sayings" by fathers! LOL

As I mentioned in the post, I realize how much hurt, pain, and the void a person can feel on Father's Day without a father. I pray you will be blessed with much love and peace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home