Monday, April 24, 2006

My I Am From Poem

Thanks to Melli for sharing her poem & for encouraging me to post mine. *s* The poem was written by George Ella Lyons.

I Am From

I am from from the Peach Festival place, from Folger's, cinnamon rolls and fried peach pies.
I am from the mountain hideaway with creaking doors, barnyard animals, laughter & love.
I am from the yellow rose that graced the walkway with its glorious scent and the strawberry patch where dreams & jam were made.
I am from weekend camping trips and huge meals, from my dad and my momma and Grandpa O.
I am from the land of corny jokes and churning butter.
From childhood superstitions and wet tobacco for spider bites.
I am from no religion to Southern Baptist to let's just relax on Sunday.
I'm from Tacoma Washington, home-made yeast rolls and chocolate gravy.
From the twin brother who chased me through a barbed wire fence that caused me to get stitches for the 1st time, the sister who convinced me that I could walk barefoot on hot coals without getting burned, and my granddad who taught me that laughter is good medicine.
I am from cedar chests, filled with priceless treasures such as school photos, awards. and home-made Mother's Day gifts.


You can find more wonderful poems at Barbara's Blog & Carol's Blog. If you would like to do the poem, you can find the form here.

13 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger PJ said...

Great Poem Chi...:)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

chocolate gravy?!!!!!!! Oh shoot, now I gotta go back to the store for THESE ingredients. That poem writing is great.

And thanks for the joke you left in my 'gassy' blog!!!!

Too funny, and it sounds awful close to blond to me!!! roflmao

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Buffy said...

I Love this....soooo much!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

This is beautiful. Very moving. It gives the reader a good sense of who you are.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Chi said...

Thank you, PJ *s*

Hope you enjoy your chocolate gravy...I sure do miss momma's. yvw for the poem...glad you liked it. *s*

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Melli said...

Chi... I think you did it JUST right! :) It's WONDERFUL!!! (and wasn't it fun?)

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Chi said...

Thank you, Melli...and yes, it really was fun. *s*

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Hattigrace said...

What a thought provoking poem. I loved it.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger C. H. Green said...

I enjoyed this poem and your blog. Come visit me sometime!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Thanks for taking part in the "Where I am From" poetry event in celebration of National Poetry Month.

You did a great job, too.

(I am curious what Fried Peach Pies and Chocolate Gravy taste like.)

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

I love this poem. I will be saving this one.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Connie

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Praying for your Prodigal said...

Love any way to get to know others in blogosphere better!

the first on my list...would be Diane, from Addicted to blogging support group # 1,878,935!

:) Diane

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger LibertyBelle said...

Good job chi
thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home